It's time to grow up and start seeing the world the way it really is and not the way we want it to be.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Hudson's Poem

I wrote this on the occasion of my nephew and his life partner adopting their first child, Hudson.






Hudson's Poem


i hear him crying in the night
and sleepy shuffle to his room
so small a bundle, dark on dark
still yeasty warm, fresh from the womb

i pluck him up into my arms
he mouths my thumb, begins to suckle
and soon settles soft against my chest
with a sigh that sounds almost a chuckle

i rock and sway and hum a tune
from the summer of two-thousand three
and, just when i'm deep into a dip
i see you in the doorway watching me

i see you seeing me and him
my eyes reflected in your own
and a small and snazzy electric spark
sizzless and skitters around the room

there are moments that are pleasure
there are moments that are pain
but the moments you get like this one
will never come again

i had promised not to ramble
you had sworn you'd never roam
and at this moment, 
between a tick and a tock,
the three of us became a home






No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Pages

Suggested reading:

  • A History of the End of the World by Jonathan Kirsch
  • American Colossuss: The Triumph of Capitalism 1865 - 1900 by H. W. Brands
  • American Colossuss: The Triumph of Capitalism 1865 - 1900 by H. W. Brands
  • Life After Death by Alan Segal
  • Radicals for Capitalism by Brian Doherty
  • Radicals for Capitalism by Brian Doherty
  • The Science of Evil by Simon Baron-Cohen
  • The Science of Evil by Simon Baron-Cohen
  • Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt
  • Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am from West Virginia. Born in New Martinsville to a minister's family. Traveled around West Virginia and Southern Ohio growing up. The only stability I got was from my mother's side of the family in Boone County. My Great Grandfather on my father's side was preaching in Madison during the Mine Wars. He ran for the state legislature on a pro-union ticket and won only to have the coal companies tie the results up in court so he ended serving only one day out of this term. My Grandfather on my mother's side stood with the miner's at Blair Mountain and died of Black Lung when I was still in my teens. I was raised a Conservative Christian...not a Fundamentalist. Strict separation of church and state based on the understanding that what makes for a good politician is pretty much the opposite of what makes a good Christian. I'm politically radical in that I believe in one man/one vote and the only way to have political equality is to have economic equality. I'm an atheist because once I accepted the fact of my own mortality I found no need for belief in God.