It's time to grow up and start seeing the world the way it really is and not the way we want it to be.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

and nothing right with being rich




i had a dollar in my pocket
at least, i did before i spent it
on some trinket or some locket
that now is lost and i resent it

there is nothing quite as gone
as a dollar when it’s spent
nothing leaves you as alone
wondering where the dollar went

a dollar anticipated
is a great treasure for a man
but a dollar dissipated
grates on your soul like sand

to owe a dollar to another
is a dollar spent on guilt
a twin-bladed knife between two brothers
driven into each up to the hilt

you never own a dollar
you rent potential for a while
then it’s gone where you can’t follow
like a sycophantic smile

ayn rand said the choice
is between the dollar and the gun
in the end she couldn’t rejoice
she just wasn’t that much fun


jesus had a different view
you served dollars or the gods
if i had to choose between the two
i’d say the lord gave better odds

do you think what a dollar really is?
green paper with strange signs upon it
fit to wipe your ass or blot your piss
till someone else says ‘i want it.’

what if you just gave it away
to those really in need
do you think you could thus repay
all you’d stolen in your greed?

greed, there’s a word you don’t hear often
in this land of milk and honey
from the belly to the coffin
no one condemns you if you have money

great wealth is the sign of our god’s blessing
poverty means you lack the proper attitude
just ignore poor jesus’ lesson
wrong is right and bad is good

i have lately come to know quite sure
a dollar is a dead man’s bitch
there is nothing wrong with being poor...
...and nothing right with being rich





No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Pages

Suggested reading:

  • A History of the End of the World by Jonathan Kirsch
  • American Colossuss: The Triumph of Capitalism 1865 - 1900 by H. W. Brands
  • American Colossuss: The Triumph of Capitalism 1865 - 1900 by H. W. Brands
  • Life After Death by Alan Segal
  • Radicals for Capitalism by Brian Doherty
  • Radicals for Capitalism by Brian Doherty
  • The Science of Evil by Simon Baron-Cohen
  • The Science of Evil by Simon Baron-Cohen
  • Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt
  • Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am from West Virginia. Born in New Martinsville to a minister's family. Traveled around West Virginia and Southern Ohio growing up. The only stability I got was from my mother's side of the family in Boone County. My Great Grandfather on my father's side was preaching in Madison during the Mine Wars. He ran for the state legislature on a pro-union ticket and won only to have the coal companies tie the results up in court so he ended serving only one day out of this term. My Grandfather on my mother's side stood with the miner's at Blair Mountain and died of Black Lung when I was still in my teens. I was raised a Conservative Christian...not a Fundamentalist. Strict separation of church and state based on the understanding that what makes for a good politician is pretty much the opposite of what makes a good Christian. I'm politically radical in that I believe in one man/one vote and the only way to have political equality is to have economic equality. I'm an atheist because once I accepted the fact of my own mortality I found no need for belief in God.