It's time to grow up and start seeing the world the way it really is and not the way we want it to be.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

the poor are breeding stock




the poor are breeding stock
the welfare and food stamps
the rich dole out to these sows and studs
serves as the paddock’s lock
and the lure to lead them up the ramp
so the ones with promise
            can be separated from the duds

each season they trim their herd
this one has a beauty
            worth cultivating
this one is tall and quick enough
            to play pro ball
here is a voice to make them even richer
            if they decide to let it be heard
a few with minds worth exploiting
            but these are the dangerous ones
                        so their numbers are kept small

then there are those fit to be nothing but cannon fodder
just smart enough to learn to take orders
but not so smart to question why the US borders
circle the world, an empire far, far larger
than just our fifty states


most of them are left behind
turned loose in the wild, wild streets
they live a life of horror
they cluster together in gangs
and churches to survive
their family connections would
put a holler grannie to her shame

but the cruelest cut of all’s
how they split the poor in half
the whites fearing colors,
the colors hating whites
the deliberate installation
of the very thing
they say they hate

until we, the poor of this country
the livestock rejected at the gate
the left behind
the true poor
the poverty that goes on for generations
and the only thing we have to leave our children
when it’s their turn to step up to the plate

and so we’ll stay this way
until we learn that white’s a color, too
and skin don’t make the man
admit we have a common foe
for the enemy of my enemy
is my friend





No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Pages

Suggested reading:

  • A History of the End of the World by Jonathan Kirsch
  • American Colossuss: The Triumph of Capitalism 1865 - 1900 by H. W. Brands
  • American Colossuss: The Triumph of Capitalism 1865 - 1900 by H. W. Brands
  • Life After Death by Alan Segal
  • Radicals for Capitalism by Brian Doherty
  • Radicals for Capitalism by Brian Doherty
  • The Science of Evil by Simon Baron-Cohen
  • The Science of Evil by Simon Baron-Cohen
  • Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt
  • Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am from West Virginia. Born in New Martinsville to a minister's family. Traveled around West Virginia and Southern Ohio growing up. The only stability I got was from my mother's side of the family in Boone County. My Great Grandfather on my father's side was preaching in Madison during the Mine Wars. He ran for the state legislature on a pro-union ticket and won only to have the coal companies tie the results up in court so he ended serving only one day out of this term. My Grandfather on my mother's side stood with the miner's at Blair Mountain and died of Black Lung when I was still in my teens. I was raised a Conservative Christian...not a Fundamentalist. Strict separation of church and state based on the understanding that what makes for a good politician is pretty much the opposite of what makes a good Christian. I'm politically radical in that I believe in one man/one vote and the only way to have political equality is to have economic equality. I'm an atheist because once I accepted the fact of my own mortality I found no need for belief in God.